Anarchists, Squatters, Punks & …Yuppies?
Artists’ Initiatives in the Netherlands, from the 1980s to the Present
Bringing together essential voices from artists’ initiatives, past and present, Quartair hosted an event to consider the enduring influence of artist-run spaces in the Netherlands. The event merged three causes to celebrate: the launch of two companion issues of Kunstlicht that consider the means by which artists subvert and demystify power structures; the planned launch of an online publication series with Platform BK that will feature articles written by Master's students of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam that delve into the history of artist-run spaces in the Netherlands from the 1980s/90s; and the 25th anniversary of Quartair, an artists’ initiative that has itself been subverting conventions since 1992. At the crux of the event was a reflection on the critical significance of the artists’ initiative as a space for unmitigated expression.
With short lectures by:
- Angela M. Bartholomew (art historian, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, editor of Kunstlicht)
- Eva Fotiadi (art historian, UvA & AKV|St Joost)
- Jack Segbars (artist, critic, co-founder of Platform BK)
And a discussion between:
- Hans Scholten, artist, researcher, lecturer, co-founder of De Zaak, Groningen (c. 1979-1990) and editor of the art magazine Drukwerk De Zaak.
- Menno Grootveld, translator, director of Rabotnik TV, Amsterdam (c. 1982-1998)
- Brieke Drost, artist, curator, and co-founder of Hooghuis, Arnhem (c. 1985-2004) & director the De Kleine Kapel, Arnhem (c. 2012)
- Tineke Reijnders, independent art critic and art historian
- Maziar Afrassiabi, founder and director of Rib Art Space, Rotterdam (c. 2015)
- Clara Pallí Monguilod, artist and co-founder of 1646, Den Haag (c. 2004)
- Mike Rijnierse, artist, educator, and member of Quartair, Den Haag (c. 1992)
- Marjolein van de Ven, writer, curator, and organizer of Kuntvlaai (c. 1997)
- moderated by Mariska van den Berg art historian, researcher, writer, lecturer, and co-founder of Platform BK
This event has been organized by Quartair and Angela M. Bartholomew, in collaboration with Tijdschrift Kunstlicht and Platform Beeldende Kunst.